Overwriting basic action cards

Use this forum to discuss the Action Editor and other technical aspects of Bliss.

Moderator: Don

Overwriting basic action cards

Postby Blisscouple » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:30 pm

I am trying to overwrite a basic action file card that is getting old. The action editor does not allow sorting so I have gone threw the file twice trying to find it by the creator "Maleah." I am looking for the card title so I can make a new one by the same name to override it in my action file. Are some actions hard coded in the game? Why can't the basic file be sorted?
Blisscouple

Re: Overwriting basic action cards

Postby Don » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:38 am

The basic action file is read-only, it cannot be modified, which includes sorting.

However, you can "override" actions in the main action file by replacing them with actions by the same name in your own action file. Some users copy the entire main action file and then don't use the original. I don't recommend that because when the next version comes out you won't get the new actions that come out in that version.

A better approach is to copy the main action file to a new one and then delete all the actions that you LIKE (that's right, delete the actions you like) from the copy. Now you have a list of only actions you don't like. Then take all actions in that file and remove all situations from them. Now this new file will block those actions from the main file from ever playing.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby hangblague » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:21 pm

I want to do this (copy the main action file and manipulate the copy). My trouble is I don't know how to copy the main action file without changing the readonly attribute. I can copy the file and rename it, but I can't seem to do a "save as" (if that makes a difference). Can anyone help? I have windows 7.

My wife and I like the game and I like the action editor as well - I just need a little bit of guidance as I am no programmer.
hangblague

Postby Ivo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:34 pm

While in the editor choose File> open

Look for the file

BasicActions.bjf
(if it doesn't appear use windows search or mac search equivalent to find the file location on your computer)

open it

Choose save as and and rename the entire file to a new name (choose this name to play - You can then eliminate the card you are tired of using. Save it

Now take and find the original basicactions file on your computer manually make a copy of it and place in another file.

BasicActions.bfj file-- you can use the save as method and save to another file or you can manually locate the file and copy it to another folder.

After you have a copy saved go back to your edited file that you named something else and now rename it back to basic actions or if that doesn't work use save as to rename it back to basic actions. If a box asks if you want to overwrite original file click yes. Now you've overwritten the basic file without the card in question. (If you use save as you'll want to manually find your file you named something else and delete it)

We have stopped using the Basic actions file altogether because we've customized our so much, but I still have a copy of the original just in case.

If these instructions are confusing I apologize as I've not edited files in Bliss for some time now. When I do I usually am making a totally new file. Also if you are interested in different action cards and themes check out the exchange here on the forum!
Ivo

Postby hangblague » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:25 pm

Thanks, that helps a lot!
hangblague

Postby Don » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:07 am

Hi,

The general procedure that I would recommend is:

1. Open the file BasicActions.bjf. As Ivo says, it won't be located in the normal Actions directory, you will need to browse to it or find it.
2. Do a File | Save As. Save the file as a different name (such as MyBasicActions.bjf).
3. After you do the save as, the file will no longer be read only.
4. Go to File | Edit Description.
5. Change the description to something else (such as My Basic Actions).
6. Save the file.

Now you can edit it as you like. What I recommend is that you delete all actions from your file that you like and want to appear in the game. I know this seems backwards, but when you play the game if you specify both your action file and the basic action file, the game will merge them. So if you have deleted them from your file, they will be used from the main file. You can then modify the actions you don't like or you can clear all situations from actions you really don't like and they will never appear.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby Ivo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:49 pm

AH Yes Thanks Don for the correction!! It is reverse that is the step I got wrong. :D I hope the OP returns to see this.
Ivo

Postby chustme » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Don,

While your suggestion makes sense, the issue I've always had with the basic action file is that there is no good reference.

I modified the basic action file to include a number in the "credit" section that matches a prefaced number in the action title to make it a LOT easier to find the action I wish to deal with later. That's not something you want to spend much time on while you are playing the game. It's much easier to just have a notepad nearby to quick scribble the number on, making it really easy to find later.
chustme

Postby chustme » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:28 pm

I've added a screen clip as a reference.

Note the file name (prefaced by 01) and the action title (prefaced by -001) is how I find the action later (01-001) by quickly scribbling the number shown in the credit section while playing.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (13.42 KiB) Viewed 56232 times
chustme

Postby chustme » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:31 pm

This also works for quickly finding and correctly problems encountered with a specific action during play.
chustme

Postby pareto » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:01 am

Don, after using your recommended procedure, is there any way to view statistics with the two files merged? I want to make sure that I didn't create any unbalanced situations by removing all or most of the actions at a given passion level.
pareto

Return to Tech Talk