Replacing Clothing Items

Use this forum to discuss the Action Editor and other technical aspects of Bliss.

Moderator: Don

Replacing Clothing Items

Postby eveadam » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:53 pm

First, let me say that this is an incredible game! My wife and I loved the iPhone version, and now we've moved on to the computer version and have become engrossed in creating and editing actions. The action editor is clearly a powerful tool and I can't believe we ever thought we could do without it, but I'm still getting the hang of its inner workings. Which brings me to my question:

Does the game put a high priority on being fully nude in the higher levels, or is there some setting to adjust this that I've not yet found?

The reason I ask is (and I know I've seen this mentioned in at least one post), I've noticed that if an item gets replaced late in the game, it is almost always removed again in the next turn. Granted, there's plenty of motivation to be naked, but you can always quit the game and take your clothes off anytime. There's some great added suspense in potentially having to replace items late in the game. Plus, it changes up the actions that are available, which generally prolongs and randomizes the game a bit more.

Perhaps more importantly, this behavior prevents the use of costumes late in the game. I've written several actions that involve one partner selecting an outfit or clothing item for the other to wear. Sometimes it's something sexy (for Broadway or the Cabaret), sometimes it's something ridiculous or embarrassing (Court or Jail), and sometimes it's just something funny or silly.

For example, here's a Broadway action that I modified:

<sn>, it's time for you to take the stage for your performance, but your costume is missing!

Fortunately, your costume director, <pn>, has a backup outfit for you to wear.

<pn>, select an outfit for your performer to wear, and be sure to adjust <ss> clothing list!

This action might result in the subject wearing a full-on pirate costume, a t-shirt and jeans, or they might just have to make do with a scarf and some scotch tape! Regardless, I think it would be more exciting if you had to remain in your new outfit for at least a few turns until it was removed naturally by the game. And putting on an actual costume, or something more involved (like a corset) hardly feels worth the trouble if you know you'll just have to take it all off in the next turn.

But even if it's just a simple "replace your boxers," I think it would be more suspenseful if you didn't already know that they'd just come right back off a minute later.

Is this just a matter of adjusting the profiles? Is there some category that tells the game "they really should be nude," or does it just make that assumption in the higher levels? As deep as the action editor is, it seems like there must be some way to adjust this...

Thanks!
eveadam

Return to Tech Talk