Linux and Mono Support

Use this forum to discuss the Action Editor and other technical aspects of Bliss.

Moderator: Don

Linux and Mono Support

Postby xMarks » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:52 am

Hi,

I was recommended this site by someone on the wired.com sexdrive newsletter. I run linux and use the mono framework (think of it as open source .NET) on my laptop, what are the chances of getting the game and the editor compiled under mono so that it can be used on open-source software as well as the microsoft stuff?

I'm willing to compile it myself and then send the binaries back, but I'd need a copy of the source-code.

I know a small amount of C#, so I'm happy to hack away and get it working if need be.

Cheers,

xMarks
--
xmarks@truthisfreedom.org.uk
xMarks

Postby Don » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:56 am

xMarks,

I have thought some about mono for a Mac version, but never really considered it for Linux.

We could arrange something on the source code with an NDA. I fear the project may be fairly involved because of Bliss's use of the Microsoft Media Player as a remoted object and also the use of serialization and encryption.

However, it might be possible to make it work.

If you are really interested in doing this, contact me privately at don@gamesforloving.com and we can work out the details.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby xMarks » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:01 pm

Don,

I'm trying to get it working under wine first. If that works, I'll post a tutorial somewhere on the boards on how to do it. If it doesn't work (and I get a bit more time on my hands!) I'll get in touch about trying out the code.

I'd happily sign an NDA, I'm a firm believer in credit where credit is due, and I'll only ever give away another's source-code if I have direct permission or it is licensed under a similar situation to the GPL.

Cheers,

xMarks
xMarks

Postby Don » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:07 pm

OK,

Wine would be simpler and more generally available. If you need any help or have any questions, feel free to contact me.

It may even be possible to make simple source modifications that would makt things run better under wine.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby xMarks » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:17 pm

Don,

I've been trying (so far without sucess!) to get Bliss running under Wine on linux (I suspect mainly because getting the .net framework to run inside wine is a pain in the arse!) .

I think the best thing to do would be for me to sign an NDA and see if I can convert the source code.

I'll email you as well as post this because theres a few things that I think would be best discussed off-forum! :)

Cheers,

xMarks
xMarks

Postby xMarks » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:09 pm

Don,

I've had another thought about this. If the Media Player connection was removed and it was left up to the operating system to decide what to do with the files, then you could easily port it to any O/S as Media player wouldn't be needed.

Not sure if this helps or not,

Cheers,

xMarks
xMarks

Postby scooter » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:54 pm

Don wrote:
I have thought some about mono for a Mac version, but never really considered it for Linux.

I also came here from the Wired.com article, hoping to find a Mac version. If there's anything I can do to help out, I would be glad to. I haven't installed Mono (no need to - most stuff I put in are *nix-based for x11 or just Mac apps), but I could if the need was present.

Sounds like a lot of thought has gone into your product - particularly the way the game advances throughout a session. I'm very impressed with the way you've approached the coupling of two people.

Thanks.
scooter

Mono Status Report

Postby Don » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:24 pm

I am agressively studying a mono approach to the game right now. I have it compiling under mono, but there are some runtime difficulties I am trying to work out.

The mono libraries are still very new and have a lot of bugs left. I am working on correcting some of them.

I should have more information in about a week.

Don
don@gamesforloving.com
Don
Super Moderator

Re: Linux and Mono Support

Postby jim » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:37 pm

[quote="xMarks"]Hi,

I was recommended this site by someone on the wired.com sexdrive newsletter. I run linux and use the mono framework (think of it as open source .NET) on my laptop, what are the chances of getting the game and the editor compiled under mono so that it can be used on open-source software as well as the microsoft stuff?
[/quote]

Basically, me too. I came here hoping for a Linux version, and am happy to see that one is at least marginally under development. I would be willing to help out, but between work and school, I'm a little short on time.

Thanks,
Jim
jim

Postby yotta » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:18 am

I'm another linux user, and I plan to try out this game with my girlfriend on my windows laptop. I'd love to see it working on linux nativly.
yotta

Status of Bliss on Mono

Postby Don » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:38 am

Hi all,

I have Bliss about 90% working on Mono under X11 on OSX and Linux. I need to work out solutions to the sound effects and music playback, and these will probably be unique to each OS. If there are any X11 gurus out there maybe you can tell me if there are any facilities for music playback and sound effect playback native to X11, or do I have to go out to the OS?

At the moment I am working on getting the Mono OSX native (carbon) driver to work right. It is in really bad shape compared to the rest of the Mono project.

I have reported 7 bugs and their fixes to the Mono team so far. The 1.1.13 release (the current one) of Mono will not run Bliss because of bugs in Mono. I suspect that the 1.1.14 release will, the most significant bugs have already been fixed in the source tree.

The OSX driver will take considerably longer.

As soon as 1.1.14 comes out, and assuming that everything works OK, I will be in a position to provide beta copies of the Linux port to those who are interested (perhaps withour music).

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Re: Status of Bliss on Mono

Postby xMarks » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:49 pm

Don wrote:Hi all,

I have Bliss about 90% working on Mono under X11 on OSX and Linux. I need to work out solutions to the sound effects and music playback, and these will probably be unique to each OS. If there are any X11 gurus out there maybe you can tell me if there are any facilities for music playback and sound effect playback native to X11, or do I have to go out to the OS?

I guess that as part of the setup script you could ask the user to select their media player from a list - xmms, mplayer, xine etc. and use a small script to detect which players are on the box in the first place.

Don wrote:At the moment I am working on getting the Mono OSX native (carbon) driver to work right. It is in really bad shape compared to the rest of the Mono project.

I have reported 7 bugs and their fixes to the Mono team so far. The 1.1.13 release (the current one) of Mono will not run Bliss because of bugs in Mono. I suspect that the 1.1.14 release will, the most significant bugs have already been fixed in the source tree.

As soon as 1.1.14 comes out, and assuming that everything works OK, I will be in a position to provide beta copies of the Linux port to those who are interested (perhaps withour music).

Sign me up! :)

Cheers,

xMarks
xMarks

Re: Status of Bliss on Mono

Postby RangerRick » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:47 pm

Don wrote:Hi all,

There are no direct sound APIs for X11 (at least, nothing that's got much support). esound works on linux and OSX, so it might be a possibility (it looks like you can build it with pretty much no external dependencies, too). Ideally you'd probably want to write to the OSS (or even better, Alsa) APIs on Linux, and CoreAudio on OSX, but esound will talk to both of those, AFAIK.

Don wrote:I have reported 7 bugs and their fixes to the Mono team so far. The 1.1.13 release (the current one) of Mono will not run Bliss because of bugs in Mono. I suspect that the 1.1.14 release will, the most significant bugs have already been fixed in the source tree.

Don

I can help test on OSX and Linux, if you need help. I'm also the maintainer for mono in Fink on OSX, and while I don't know a lot of internals, I've built enough stuff that I might be of some service there too, if you have questions. :)
RangerRick

Postby xMarks » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:18 pm

::Bump::

Any more progress on this Don?

I'm trying to get it running under Wine again, but this time the dotnet framwork isn't installing properly... :(

Cheers,

xMarks
xMarks

Postby Don » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:39 pm

Hi,

Things keep getting better with Mono, but right now things are stuck. There is a problem with the resource compiler and it won't compile Bliss at the moment.

They are making progress pretty fast, but it is still a pretty rough road.

I will let you know when I get a version working well enough to try.

THanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Tech Talk