Linux and Mono Support

Use this forum to discuss the Action Editor and other technical aspects of Bliss.

Moderator: Don

Postby xMarks » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:23 am

Don,

Any further progress?

xMarks...
xMarks

Postby Don » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:40 am

Hi,

I haven't had a lot of time to spend on the mono effort in the last few weeks. I am working on getting version 1.5 of the program ready to release and also preparing to exhibit at the Smart Marriages convention in Atlanta.

However, the game is running pretty well under mono, still no sound, but the rest is running quite well. The Native Mac driver for Mono has had no development support for months, but the X11 drivers, both Linux and Mac are running quite well and Mono gets better every week. Over the past 6 months it has gone from barely working to working with small bugs here and there.

After the show at the end of June, I should probably be able to get back on this aspect of the project.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby squarepeg » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:28 pm

Glad to hear you still making progress on a linux / mono version.

Do post a notice here if you need beta testers.
squarepeg

Postby jim » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:48 am

Hi, nice to know you're still working on it for us poor Linux users. I finally have some free time again, so if you need another Linux programmer to help out, I should be able to devote some time to getting it to work. I'm also willing to Beta test, of course. :) I actually still haven't played the game, since I don't run Windows at all. :(
jim

Mac OSX

Postby TexasXpress » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:55 pm

I would love to have a Mac version...any progress yet, or need beta testers? :D
5 Macs running, and no Windows by choice...would love to play the game.

Thanks,
Nancy
TexasXpress

Postby Don » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:04 pm

TexasExpress,

For the past year, there has been virtually no work done on the native MAC version of the mono winforms. I considered making an X11 MAC version of the game available, but the MAC sers I polled all indicated that they would have no interest in such a version because they would have to install X11 on theri mac to use it. (X11 is included with OS X, but most users don't install it).

So there has been very little progress in this area.

Sorry.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby xMarks » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:04 pm

Don,

I've been away for quite a while, is there any further news on the linux issue?

Cheers,

xMarks
xMarks

Postby clint » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:57 pm

In case you wanted another vote, I also am interested in a Mac version.

On a side note, part of my job description at work is doing cross-platform .Net development with Mono. If WinForms on Mac isn't a possibility, I wonder how much might be gained from simply writing a port to something a little more simple like SDL.Net. If you're interested in outsourcing development of this at all, I might be interested (or at least am willing to offer help however possible).

Thanks!

--clint
clint

Postby Don » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi all,

There may be a slight bit of good news on this front. I am looking into porting the entire game to Java (which would then of course ensure that it would run on Mac, Linux and about every where else).

Just out of curiosity, how many of you already have the Java runtime loaded? If you don't would you object to loading it?

Thanks,

DOn
Don
Super Moderator

Postby Don » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:43 pm

Clint,

Sdl.net looks really interesting. Thanks for the pointer, I am going to look into this.

I was sort of interested in moving the game to a 2D engine anyway, this might let me kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby xMarks » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:13 am

I'm running the JRE, I'm also happy to run SDL on my box, so go for it! Either version will do me fine!

I've registered the windows version and I'm using it on an old PC, but to have it running on Linux natively and on my laptop (portable for hotels etc!) would be excellent!

Cheers,

xMarks
xMarks

Postby clint » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:49 pm

I have a bit of a bias against Java, though I will admit that today I tried out one of the first Java games that I have in a long time. The incompatibilities between the Microsoft and Sun JREs are frustrating to me, and when I'm on Windows I don't like messing with Java. On Mac though, it comes natively installed so it's fairly painless for me on that platform.

All that to say, yes I run Java, but I would still be interested in the game if it were run on Java (though I just like C# a lot better).

</soapbox>

Thanks for asking for feedback on all of this! I appreciate that you're looking for input from your users and seem to be acting on it so much.

You're probably already aware, but there's a tool for .Net apps called Moma (Mono Migration Assistant) which will analyze your .Net assemblies and tell you what aspects of them are/are-not supported under Mono. You've likely already seen it, but just in case you haven't, I thought I'd point it out.

Thanks!

Respectfully,
clint
clint

Postby xMarks » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:14 am

:bump:

Any news on this?

xMarks
xMarks

Postby Don » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Hi,

A little progress to report. The Java version is coming along, and is actually somewhat playable now, although I haven't started on the action editor yet. Over the past few weeks I have not been able to put much effort into it due to changing web severs and other issues.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby xMarks » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:59 am

Hi, sorry to be a pain, is there any news on this?

I'm more than happy to beta-test what ever you've got!

Cheers,

xMarks
xMarks

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Talk