Action editor validator suggestion

Use this forum to discuss the Action Editor and other technical aspects of Bliss.

Moderator: Don

Action editor validator suggestion

Postby NoLosers » Sun May 19, 2013 12:58 pm

The action editor validator could use a little tweaking to make it more flexible. I would like to make these suggestions:

The validator doesn't seem to allow exceptions or bypassing a validation without fixing it. There are cases where I purposely want to add something that doesn't comply with the validator, but it doesn't allow bypassing it to go further or accept it as an allowed exception unless you fix it. Is there a way to skip over an exception without fixing it? Is there a way to mark an item as an allowed exception? It would be nice to either just allowing to skip that item or mark as an "validated" exception.

1. Names - If you use a regular word such as a noun for verb that is the same as a player name, it can be a problem. For example the names and words Bill or bill, Mark or mark, Rob or rob, Jack or jack, Dick or dick, Art or art, Pat or pat, Angel or angel, Rose or rose, Sue or sue, May or may, etc. can be a problem. If you mention to sue in a court related action and a username is Sue it may be a problem getting through the validations.

2. There are cases where him, his, her, etc. may be referring to a third person outside the game, but it's difficult to bypass and continue to validate.

3. You may want to remove and replace or just refer to a piece of clothing in the same turn that would not effect the clothing editor after the turn but won't pass validation to accept it anyway.

4. Time - there are some words that trigger the time validation but are used in different context than actual timing of an action. Examples: See how many seconds/minutes it takes to do something. Do something a second time, or go back for seconds. Act as secretary and take minutes of the encounter.

I don't know how this is coded, but the easiest thing would be just a "skip" button to allow and go to the next action or just automatically skpping by repeating F2. Better yet would be to mark as acceptable to pass validation as an exception.
NoLosers

Re: Action editor validator suggestion

Postby NoLosers » Tue May 21, 2013 11:44 pm

Don, can you give a simple list of the exact words the validator is looking for?

Thanks.
NoLosers

Postby Don » Wed May 22, 2013 10:20 am

NoLosers,

You point out some valid problems with the Validator. I will look into a Skip button as you suggest. As far as a list of words go, I will have to dig into it a bit to find that, but it is pretty much all the "replacements" like "him", "her", "breast", "chest", and the Player names.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby NoLosers » Sat May 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks. I hope this gets edited in future updates.
NoLosers

Postby eveadam » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:41 am

This is a really good point, and unless I'm mistaken, the issue doesn't seem to have been fixed in the latest release.

The action editor is a wonderful and powerful tool, but the validator is rendered useless by this flaw. It would be great if the validator behaved like a spell-checker, with an option to ignore or learn something it deems to be a mistake.

I've tried sorting the actions in different ways, thinking maybe the validator goes in order from top to bottom, but it seems to stumble on the same action regardless of how they are sorted.

Any word on a fix for this?

Thanks!
eveadam

Return to Tech Talk