Jail/Bribe/Decline Question

Use this forum to discuss the Action Editor and other technical aspects of Bliss.

Moderator: Don

Jail/Bribe/Decline Question

Postby Dannzzigg » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:36 pm

I'm just beginning to use the editor and I've already come across a few questions. Here's the first one.

I want an action to only appear if the subject refuses a suggested bribe while in jail. How do I do this?

For instance, Subject is in Jail. Subject clicks "bribe". Corrupt Guard Partner suggests XYZ. Subject declines XYZ. My new action would be the result of that refusal.
How do I set up the new action to only appear as a result of refusal?
Dannzzigg

Re: Jail/Bribe/Decline Question

Postby Don » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately there is not actually a way do do that. The Jail situation applies to either Declining to pay the bribe at all or declining to do whatever the guard asks after attempting a bribe. So the actions for the jail happen under either circumstance. There isn't that much difference between them. In one case the person in Jail decided not to try to bribe the guard, in the other case the tried to bribe the guard but then wouldn't do what the guard asked.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby RTLM » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:08 pm

Don wrote:Hi,
Unfortunately there is not actually a way do do that. The Jail situation applies to either Declining to pay the bribe at all or declining to do whatever the guard asks after attempting a bribe. So the actions for the jail happen under either circumstance. There isn't that much difference between them. In one case the person in Jail decided not to try to bribe the guard, in the other case the tried to bribe the guard but then wouldn't do what the guard asked.
Don

I see this as actually much simpler than that. If the player declines to attempt to bribe the guard then that would be business as usual in the jail the guard wouldn't be aware of anything out of the normal. Proceed to the jail action as is currently coded. Once the player attempts a bribe the guard is aware that he/she is up to something and refusing to do what the guard wants means the guard still has something to hold over the prisoner (attempted escape) and would have reason to behave differently.

I know there is another feature request for setting a player state on refusing / declining an activity and that may accomplish what Dannzzigg wants. For example he would create a Bribe Guard action that set the "Refused Guard" state if it was declined. Then he could create another Jail (or any other situation) action which had a test requiring the "Refused Guard" state to be set before it could be shown. Then the guard could "remember" some time later in the game that the player had refused him/her and have an action reflecting that.

Thoughts?
RTLM

Postby Don » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi,

The "remembering" is what is not currently in the software and would have to be added.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby RTLM » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:38 pm

Don wrote:Hi,

The "remembering" is what is not currently in the software and would have to be added.

Don

By that I only meant that in the text of the action which checked for the "Refused Guard" state it might say something like "Guard Jack remembers how you rejected him and..."

Nothing fancy game logic wise.
RTLM

Return to Tech Talk