Block Copying from one action file to another?

Use this forum to discuss the Action Editor and other technical aspects of Bliss.

Moderator: Don

Block Copying from one action file to another?

Postby KalBliss » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:34 pm

To fill out my own actions in the Action Editor, I wanted to copy over only selected actions that came with the game's original action file. I could not for the life of me figure out a way to block and copy multiple actions at a time. Can this be done or do I have to continue to copy and insert one action at a time from file to file?
KalBliss

Postby Don » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:11 pm

There is not currently a way to block copy events.

I would be interested in hearing more about why you need to do this however. As a general rule it probably isn't a good idea to mix actions you write and built in actions in the same file.

Generally I would recommend leaving the built in file alone and then writing two other files. An override file if you want to block or modify actions in the built in file and a seperate file for your new actions.

Could you let me know a little more about what you are actually trying to do.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby KalBliss » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:51 pm

Here is why I tried it. I wanted to predominantly use my own action file because . . . well, I liked it better. However, I found that I was often without an action in some of the early stages of the game or in some of the situations like court or jail and I would either get enormous repetition from my own created actions or an error reading for having no action to suit the situation.

What I did was go back to the original action file and copy a lot of the early stage actions into my action file. Mostly early stage actions, jail actions and court actions as filler for my own action file so I could work with my actions and eliminate a lot of the actions from the game's original file which I simply was not interested in.

So, in essence, I wanted one unified action file with only the stuff I wanted from Bliss as filler to my own created action file. It worked well but it took FOREVER to copy and insert.
KalBliss

Postby KalBliss » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:58 pm

By the way, I have no idea how to do an override file for the original game action file. This probably would have accomplished my goal if I could have just found a way to tell the original action file which actions never to use. Then, I could have just used the reduced original actions with my own action file. So, how do you create an original action file override?
KalBliss

Postby Don » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:34 pm

There is a discussion of this at the following thread:

http://www.gamesforloving.com/phpbb2/vi ... .php?t=288

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby KalBliss » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:50 pm

Thanks for the response. I'll consider my knowledge on this subject (solely through my own fault) to be better late than never.
KalBliss

Return to Tech Talk