Locating action (bdf) files with explorer

Use this forum to discuss the Action Editor and other technical aspects of Bliss.

Moderator: Don

Locating action (bdf) files with explorer

Postby Pancho » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:37 am

Using the action editor, I have created several action (bdf) files and saved them in the standard actions folder. I can open them and see them with the Action Editor but when I view the folder with Windows Explorer they do not show up.

The folder options are set to display hidden files and system files. I changed it from a photo folder to display all files.
Folder properties indicate that it contains 8 files, but only 2 are visible (BasicActions and StayingEngaged)
This is under Vista.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Pancho

Postby Don » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:50 am

Hi,

What you are seeing (or not seeing) is caused by the Vista File Virtualization feature.

Under Vista, normal users are not allowed to write to the c:\Program Files tree at all. However, many programs (including Bliss) store their settings and other data there. Since the user can't write to this area of the file system, this presents a problem that Microsoft solved through virtualization.

Whenever a program tries to write to the Program files directory (like to c:\Program Files\Games for Loving\Bliss\Actions), Vista redirects that write to c:\Users\<username>\AppData\VirtualStore\Program Files\Games for Loving\Bliss\Actions.

When the program runs, Vista combines these two directories and presents them like one directory to the program. To see these files in the Windows Explorer, Click the Compatibility Files button that appears on the Explorer bar to view virtualized files in the folder. The Compatibility Files button appears only if there are virtualized files in the folder.

You can refer to:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VistasSho ... ation.aspx

For more information on this.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby Pancho » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:50 pm

Thanks for quick reply - you were right on.
Pancho

Return to Tech Talk