Lost files on upgrade

Use this forum to discuss the Action Editor and other technical aspects of Bliss.

Moderator: Don

Lost files on upgrade

Postby brucekathy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:38 pm

Help! I downloaded the latest build of jBliss and installed it on my macbook. When I was done, my 2 files of actions disappeared. The files I had downloaded from the forum were still there, but my actions were gone. They were all in the same folder before the upgrade. I had made over 100 actions, so I am sad to lose all that work. On the other hand, dreaming up al those actions was as exciting as playing the game, so this is no disaster. Any idea on how to get my files back?
brucekathy

One more thing

Postby brucekathy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:41 pm

I think it would be nice if I could see what version of jBliss I have and then be able to compare to the version number available for download. When I select "about bliss" there is no info on the version number.
brucekathy

Postby Don » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:02 am

Hi,

If this were Bliss you were describing, I would have a good answer for you. For jBliss though I don't.

The Bliss installer moves all of the action files to a subdirectory called OldActions. However, there is no actual Bliss installer at this point. All you are doing is unzipping a zip file. I would be very surprised if any zip utility would delete files that are there and don't have name conflicts with files coming from the .zip file

It is pretty difficult to figure out how this could have happened. Did you look in the actions directoy and see if the files are actually there but perhaps the game isn't reading them for some reason? Perhaps you wound up installing jBLiss in a different directory than before? I think I would do some sort of a global file system search for files that end in .bjf.

I wish I had a better response for you. Did you install the old jBliss before you installed the new one? On a Mac this would probably have deleted your old files.

Sorry for the difficulty. I am hoping that your files are still there somewhere and jBliss is just not finding them or not reading them. If this is the case and you can find them or recover them from a backup we can certainly get jBliss to read them.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Return to Tech Talk