PDA

Use this forum to discuss the Action Editor and other technical aspects of Bliss.

Moderator: Don

PDA

Postby Griz747 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:55 pm

Do you plan to have a Windows based PDA version? My thought would be something that you could do all the editing on the Pc and than sync it with the PDA. I think it would make it better for in the hotel room or for those of use that dont want to bring the desktop up to the bedroom. (We have kids)
Griz747

Postby Don » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:21 pm

Griz747,

That is a very interesting idea. Frankly, I had not considered it, but I like the possibilities there.

I do not have any experience with PDA programming, but it is certainly something that I can research.

Obviously the game would have to be simplified considerably for the smaller platform and screen, but the essence of it could probably be preserved.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will research this and post more of a response later.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

PDA

Postby Griz747 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:42 am

Rotate the screen from the board when moving the pieces, than to the instruction screen, to the buy or build screen, and than to the timer if needed.
Griz747

Postby Don » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:11 am

Griz,

What kind of Windows PDA were you thinking of. PocketPC, Handheld PC, Windows CE, etc.

What do you have?

Don
Don
Super Moderator

PDA

Postby Griz747 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:50 pm

I have a Dell Axim x50v with Windows Mobile 2003 Second edition

i also think your program is too much for Palm OS. So I think it would be Windows based.

I have no idea on how to program, just to let you know, I am just throwing out ideas.
Griz747

Postby Chameleon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:53 am

I disagree that it's too much for Palm OS... Perhaps this used to be true, but not so on a modern device.

My Tungsten|T3 is quite capable... I watch video, including entire transcoded DVDs loaded on an SD card; use the internet via the BlueTooth connection to my GPRS mobile phone for web browsing, email, VNC / SSH to my PCs, real-time traffic & IRC; use real-time navigational software from Mapopolis.com to navigate around (I have ALL of WA and part of OR loaded on my SD card); play vivid games (Warfare Inc & PDAMill's Solitaire are decent examples) and use it as a universal remote (very fun in restaurants ;-P). There's even an on-board C IDE & compiler and a couple Java VMs available. I wouldn't be suprised if there's a .NET VM somewhere... Maybe MONO can be ported?

The Tungsten|T3 is an older model, too; at least three newer devices are available from Palm that have similar or better capabilities.

So, don't count Palm OS out!

And finally, I'm a Developer in Automated Software Testing.
I know C#.NET, some C/C++, VB/VB.NET, some Java, PHP, ASP/ASP.NET, VBScript, Python blah blah blah... So, I could potentially help get this thing working on a Palm... I've been looking for something good to write on Palm OS anyway and this fits the bill.
8)
Chameleon

Postby Don » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:29 am

Chameleon,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have been on a family vacation at the Grand Canyon, and I have been unable to get to the net.

I agree with you that PalmOS could probably handle a program of this nature. I have a Palm OS device myself.

However, Bliss written in C# using the .NET framework. There is currently no support for C# on the Palm OS, so it would be almost a complete rewrite to port the program to PalmOS. There is pretty good support for C# and .NET on the pocket PC, so that will certainly be my first target.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby Chameleon » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:48 am

No problem at all; I hope you had a nice time. :D

I knew that Bliss was written in a .NET CLR language... I didn't want to assume C#, but I'm glad to hear it... As I mentioned, I know C# rather well and am interested in getting into Palm programming, so when you decide to tackle the PalmOS port (which I am very much in favor of), perhaps we can collaborate?
Chameleon

Postby Zyxwv88 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:38 pm

I agree that I would love to see it for Palm. I have a Garmin iQue that would be great.

I think that it would be worth making some changes for the palm versions to reflect other locales that people may be in that you wouldn't have as much with a desktop computer.. For example hotel, car (parked of course, shouldn't play this while driving probably), the office, or other places. Many of these could be put in the normal version as well and offer other options in case someone has a laptop in a non-home locale

Just make sure that if there is palm support to make sure it handles both 320x320 and 320x480. I always get annoyed at programs that don't take advantages of the 320x480 res.
Zyxwv88

Postby Chameleon » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:49 am

Zyxwv88 wrote:I agree that I would love to see it for Palm. I have a Garmin iQue that would be great.

I think that it would be worth making some changes for the palm versions to reflect other locales that people may be in that you wouldn't have as much with a desktop computer.. For example hotel, car (parked of course, shouldn't play this while driving probably), the office, or other places. Many of these could be put in the normal version as well and offer other options in case someone has a laptop in a non-home locale

Ah, all very interesting ideas...
GPS support might lead to some interesting games... Maybe like a sexy geocaching treasure hunt? :lol:

Zyxwv88 wrote:Just make sure that if there is palm support to make sure it handles both 320x320 and 320x480. I always get annoyed at programs that don't take advantages of the 320x480 res.

I fully agree, that's a MUST.
It may be acceptable for an older, infrequently updated app, but certainly not for a new, modern application.

Anyway, I'm still very interested in helping with this...
Chameleon

Postby Chameleon » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:33 am

AppForge Crossfire looks perfect for this, but is quite expensive.
Chameleon

Postby Chameleon » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:09 am

Don wrote:I agree with you that PalmOS could probably handle a program of this nature. I have a Palm OS device myself.

However, Bliss written in C# using the .NET framework. There is currently no support for C# on the Palm OS, so it would be almost a complete rewrite to port the program to PalmOS. There is pretty good support for C# and .NET on the pocket PC, so that will certainly be my first target.

Hey Don,

If I go ahead and begin implementing the Bliss game on Palm OS, would you want to join in and help or would you try to sue my pants off (sexual pun intended :lol:)?

Would you prefer to start it and do it all yourself or have someone join in and help you with you leading the effort?

I myself am inclined to pursue an open, inclusive development path, but this is your game, your design, so you should by all rights call the shots.

Paul
Chameleon

Postby Don » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:22 am

Chameleon,

I think this is something that we ought to discuss more privately.

Please contact me via email at don@gamesforloving.com, and we can see what we can work out.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby thamyris » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:39 pm

Having this on the Palm OS would be wonderful. The LifeDrive is now out, and I've found that you can fit and run surprisingly large files on the thing. Using this program without stationary desktops or bulky laptops would really let the program show its potential. The portability to take the game with me when I'm not at home (vacation, long weekend...) could combine with some interesting action scenarios that aren't strictly home-based. >;)

Cheryl
thamyris

Pocket PC Yes!

Postby pamslover » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:02 pm

My vote is for Pocket PC. This would make playing the game much easier and avoid issues with teenagers.

Great game. Keep up the good work.
pamslover

Next

Return to Tech Talk