How does the game keep track of actions?

Use this forum to discuss the Action Editor and other technical aspects of Bliss.

Moderator: Don

How does the game keep track of actions?

Postby Mick » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:26 pm

I was just wondering how the game kept track of the actions used. Does it use the entire action name, or only a portion of it? I'm wondering if I have several actions named the same except for a number at the end, will the game keep track of them separately so that when one is used, the others do not lose priority in occurring?

It would be very nice to be able to rate each action as it is used as to how often the users want to see it come up in subsequent games.

Thanks.
Mick

Re: How does the game keep track of actions?

Postby Don » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:27 pm

The game actually treats each action as a seperate object, so the name of the action is pretty much irrelevent to how it keeps track of them.

The only time that the name would effect how an action is used is if you had two action files at different priorities and they each had an action with exactly the same name. In that case, the version of the action from the higher priority file would replace the version in the lower priority file. This allows you to block or replace actions from the default set.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Re: How does the game keep track of actions?

Postby Mick » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:37 am

Thanks, Don. I had wondered if it kept track of the actions used by the first characters of the name. If it assigns an individual number to each action, this is not a concern.

One thing that you might consider is that when you add actions, put them out in a separate file so that they can easily be examined and edited if desired. They could be incorporated into the basic actions file too, but a downloadable file with only the newer actions would be nice for those of us who would like to edit them first. We could then add only the ones we wished to add.

Thanks for a great game. The action editor makes it especially good. Being able to adapt it to individual tastes makes it outstanding.
Mick

Return to Tech Talk