How to update?

Use this forum to report any bugs or other problems you might discover.

Moderator: Don

How to update?

Postby Sarcas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:10 am

Hi there,
I noticed I am running an older version of Bliss (1.6.1 Beta1) on OSX. I downloaded the latest version. How do I update without loosing all my settings & stuff?

Thanks!
Sarcas

Re: How to update?

Postby Don » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:49 am

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response.

In the Mac, all of the files that ship with Bliss are located inside of a "package" which is what is represented by the file with the Heart Logo. Though it looks like a single file, it is really a directory structure full of files, but OSX hides it. In any case, the user specific files are not in the package, they are stored in the system APPDATA folder, which is typically ~/Library/Application Support or ~/Library/Preferences. So what this means is that user specific files are not part of the package file so there should be no data lost when you install a new version. If you want to make sure, just download the newest version and drag the Heart Logo out of the .dmg file and park it on the desktop (or anywhere different from where your current version is located). Then run the new version by double clicking on it. You should see your profiles and action files and so forth. If you have validated that it is all there, then you can replace the old package with the new one.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby Sarcas » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:41 am

Hi Don,

I launched it from the desktop, but it turns out none of my action files are shown, and subsequently none of the follow up files (toys). The original one does show them. I suppose I have to open the package-file from the original application and copy some files out, into the package-file from the new application?

Kind regards,

Sarcas
Sarcas

Postby Don » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi,

Originally the files were all stored in the package, but that should no longer be the case. It might have still been the case in the older version that you are running.

As an experiment, open the Action Editor on the new version and tell it to open an action file, it should open a finder and that finder should be preset to a certain folder. Then do the same thing on the old version and let me know which folders it opens to in either case.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby Sarcas » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi,

the new version opens a window in Users:Sarcas:Desktop:Bliss:Contents:Resources:Java:Actions and shows the two basic action files.

The old one opens in Macintosh HD:Applications:Bliss:Contents:Resources:Java:Actions and shows all my action files.

Thanks,

S.
Sarcas

Postby Don » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:06 am

Hi,

Well, based on what you sent the files are still being stored inside of the bundle. I thought we had moved them out but that must be for the next version. So you will need to move the files from the old location to the new one. (Actions, Profiles, etc.)

Sorry for the hassle.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby Sarcas » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:59 am

Hi there,

It is almost two years later and I am trying to update again. I noticed the new version 1.6.4.1 and I am still on 1.6.3. I renamed the old version Bliss.old (preserving all my packages), downloaded the new version, copied it to the Applications directory and tried to start it up. A window appears with the message "The application Bliss can not be opened" (loosely translated from Dutch). The console says:

27-04-16 12:53:45,991 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000011.JavaApplicationStub[6296]) Could not find and/or execute program specified by service: 2: No such file or directory: /Applications/Bliss.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub
27-04-16 12:53:45,991 Spotlight[316]: spawn_via_launchd() failed, errno=111 label=[0x0-0xcb0cb].Bliss path=/Applications/Bliss.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub flags=1 : LaunchApplicationClient.cp #963 LaunchApplicationWithSpawnViaLaunchD() q=com.apple.root.user-initiated-qos
27-04-16 12:53:45,991 Spotlight[316]: spawn_via_launchd() failed, errno=111 label=[0x0-0xcb0cb].Bliss path=/Applications/Bliss.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub flags=1

The old Bliss runs fine btw. Any suggestions?

Thx
Sarcas

Postby Sarcas » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:23 am

For some reason it works now... no idea what changed. Perhaps a reboot did the trick. Anyway, problem solved...

S.
Sarcas

Postby johnniewalk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:03 am

good job Sarcas with the help Don :)
johnniewalk

Return to Bug Reports