trouble w/trial version download

Use this forum to report any bugs or other problems you might discover.

Moderator: Don

trouble w/trial version download

Postby jessimatt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:57 pm

Hi,
When I attempted to download the trial version, it did not have a valid digital signature, so my security advised me not to run it. Any way you could fix this?
Thanks,
Jessica
jessimatt

Postby Don » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:40 pm

Jessica,

This message simply indicates that we have not signed the code using a digital certificate that proves that the software comes from us. To do this requires us to purchase a certificate from a certificate authority, which is an expense that we have not felt was worthwhile. Since you are downloading the code from our site, you can be guaranteed that it comes from us, which is all that a certificate guarantees anyway.

Most small software companies don't sign their code because of the expense involved.

We do have a digital signature in our code that will cause it not to execute if it has been modified in any way since we originally compiled. This guarantees that no viruses or other modifications have been intoduced into the code.

At some point in the future we will probably start digitally signing our code with a public certificate, but for the time being it is safe to ignore that error message as long as you are sure that you are downloading directly from us.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

thanks

Postby jessimatt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:07 pm

Thanks for the explanation.
Jessica
jessimatt

Postby Don » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:38 pm

I wanted to update everyone and let you know that our code is now digitally signed.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Return to Bug Reports