jBliss not opening on iMac

Use this forum to report any bugs or other problems you might discover.

Moderator: Don

jBliss not opening on iMac

Postby JamesW » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi Don, I've just downloaded and licensed this to our three computers and have a couple of problems...

First, my wife's Dell laptop (running XP): everything runs fine, but my name comes up as 'James ☐nK9-ZL%9ard' rather than just 'James'. Deleting the game and reinstalling didn't help. ***EDIT*** D'oh, sorry, I just saw this in FAQs - I'll fix it when I get home.

Second, and more confusing, my Intel iMac (10.5.5,fully updated inc Java): The demo ran fine, and so did the licensed version until I tried to put a picture of our own on for a skin. It was a jpeg - I now know that it should've been a bmp so either way it wasn't going to work. I went to bmp it in PS, but when I came back to jBliss the program was unresponsive. I quit and reopened it, but nothing came up. It's shown as running in the dock, and the 'Bliss' menu appears in the menu bar, but the game menus don't. Clicking the Bliss menu does nothing, and nor does trying F1, F2 etc. I've tried combinations of reinstalling, redownloading, rebooting etc to no avail.

Third, some happy news: on my old G4 Mac Powerbook everything works perfectly, and of course we only need the game on the one laptop so there're no complaints here...just puzzlement!

Thanks,
James
JamesW

Re: jBliss not opening on iMac

Postby JamesW » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:40 pm

Okay, keeping to the tradition of solving things through trial and error for fun, I've worked out the Mac problem - the jpg skin I foolishly added wasn't compatible, so every time the game opened it froze up as it tried to load the picture. So...I renamed and moved the offending jpg file to a different location on my computer, and when the game tried to load it but couldn't find it it promptly gave me a complaint that the file had vanished and reverted to the default skin.

Moral of the story? Don't use .jpgs as skins!

...the PC fix worked too, leaving me a very satisfied customer on all three computers, thank you very much :)
JamesW

Postby Xenon » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:56 am

JamesW,

Can you tell me about your intel Mac configuration.

I have Mac OS 10.5.8, but I can't get Bliss to run ...

When I look at jBliss, it says it is a PowerPC app, so maybe something is set up wrong in the extract step?

Also, in the JAVA pref panel, which versions of Java do you have and in which order?

Thanks
Xenon

Postby Xenon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:59 pm

Ok,

I have J2SE 6.0 selected as the top priority, and jBliss (for linux) will run, but jBliss (for mac) will not run.

Is it a difference between PPC and Intel Macs, and differences in the J2SE for different chipsets?
Xenon

Return to Bug Reports