Invalid license key - jbliss

Use this forum to report any bugs or other problems you might discover.

Moderator: Don

Invalid license key - jbliss

Postby A111 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:16 pm

When I received my license key for jbliss it looks like I made a mistake entering it & I now get an error "Your license key is invalid" when I try to start it. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any way of re-entering it, I can't get past the error message. I have tried re-installing but just get the same error.

Presumably the license key is recorded somewhere on the computer but I can't find out where. I'm running jbliss on my MacBook - any ideas how to solve this one?
A111

Re: Invalid license key - jbliss

Postby Don » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:38 am

Hi,

It should not have been possible for this to happen, the game is never supposed to let an invalid license key get installed, but obviously it did.

The license key is stored in the Java User Preferences area. On the mac, this is a file called com.apple.java.util.prefs which is located in the users home directory under ~/Library/Preferences/. You could probably just delete this file or you could edit it with a text editor.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby A111 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi Don,

I have tried removing the file but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have also managed to successfully install jbliss on my old Mac desktop with the same license key so I tried using the plist file from that installation on the desktop but it didn't make any difference. After managing to figure out how to convert the files to XML I have compared them and they appear to be identical. Is there another file I'm missing?

Incidentally the desktop is on OS 10.5 & the laptop is on 10.6 - I don't know whether that makes any difference.

This is the plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>/</key>
<dict>
<key>com/</key>
<dict>
<key>GamesForLoving/</key>
<dict>
<key>Bliss/</key>
<dict/>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Hope that means more to you than it does to me!

Thanks

Andrew.
A111

Postby Don » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:51 am

Andrew,

The dump that you posted of the preferences file shows an empty file. There are no license keys in that file. What that probably means is that we are looking at the wrong file. Java has two sets of preferences. There is a system wide preference file and a per user preference file. We have been looking at the per user one, which is where the license keys are supposed to be stored. Since they are not there, they must be in the system wide preferences file. This file is in the folder /Library/Preferences and has the same name as the other file. Note the difference in the folder, there is not a ~ at the beginning, this one is right at the root of the file system.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby A111 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:09 am

The key wasn't in either of the two files. However, I did find another file - com.gamesforloving.licenses.plist which did contain the licence key. I deleted that and was then able to re-enter the key. It worked fine this time and everything is now up & running. It was much quicker to work through the plist files one I realised that you could view them with quick look rather than having to convert them & view them in a text editor.

Still not sure how I managed to miss a file with such an obvious name in the first place though!

Thanks

Andrew.
A111

Return to Bug Reports