Changing board space images

General discussion of iBliss on the iPhone, iPad or iTouch

Moderator: DaveBliss

Re: Changing board space images

Postby DaveBliss » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:51 pm

That's really strange—there shouldn't be any additional offset. Note that #herName refers to the actual text label that displays the player's name; the graphical "box" surrounding it is just part of the board background. her/hisMoney are also text labels, whereas her/hisThermometer and squares are images.
DaveBliss

Postby Len » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:30 am

Thanks Dave - Not sure what I was doing, but I've got a skeletal theme working now.

Last (hopefully) question - Do themes support loading a custom font?
Len

Postby DaveBliss » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:37 am

No, you're unfortunately limited to what iOS provides. I've looked into it a little bit, and it seems that if you want to use a custom font in iOS you need to bundle it with the app and describe it in one of the app's standard config files. So loading it from a skin appears to be a no-go.

More than that, Bliss currently supports iOS 4.3 as its earliest version, so if you want to support older iOS devices then you might want to limit your choices to fonts that iOS 4 had. If you choose to use a newer font and want to share your skin then it might be a good idea to warn people that your skin only works on iOS 5 (or 6 or 7, depending on the font).

And finally, unlike regular CSS, Bliss doesn't support specifying a list of fonts with fallback, so you'll need to choose one font and stick with it.
DaveBliss

Postby KTMC » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:08 pm

The links upthread are dead...would you be so kind as to re-upload the default skin files?

While I'm at it...I think in my case, all I want to do is replace one or two board images. Do I understand correctly that I could zip up just those few png images into a skin file, load that skin, and the game would take the rest from the default skin?
KTMC

Postby DaveBliss » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:47 pm

KTMC wrote:The links upthread are dead...would you be so kind as to re-upload the default skin files?

I've reuploaded the files and updated the links on the first page to point to them. Hopefully these links will be a bit more permanent than the old ones. For convenience here are the links again: the default skin and the recent travel-themed skin, both of which fall back to assets from the base skin.

KTMC wrote:While I'm at it...I think in my case, all I want to do is replace one or two board images. Do I understand correctly that I could zip up just those few png images into a skin file, load that skin, and the game would take the rest from the default skin?

Yes, you do understand correctly. You'll also quickly see that skins contain multiple sizes of background images and board squares, to accommodate the different screen sizes of iPhones and iPads. If you decide to publish your skin you may want to publish different sizes of your custom images too. Otherwise you can just make the appropriate size for your device.
DaveBliss

Previous

Return to General Discussion