Should we get iPad/iPhone version?

General discussion of iBliss on the iPhone, iPad or iTouch

Moderator: DaveBliss

Should we get iPad/iPhone version?

Postby giga_watts » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:39 pm

We've been using the PC/Java-based version for a couple of years and like it a lot. We have the game and action editor on a network share in our home and we can essentially play it on any computer (haven't tried it on the Mac since my kid has taken it over. And it's in the home office, so playing the game on it isn't quite as spontaneous, even tho it has the big screen!) I suppose I like that I can play on most anything from our netbook to our desktop, Windows or Linux.

My questions are for those who have played both the PC version and the iPhone version -- which do you prefer? What do you like best in each version? Do you think it's worth buying the iPad app even if you can play the PC version on a laptop?

Thanks!
GW
giga_watts

Re: Should we get iPad/iPhone version?

Postby Blisscouple » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:30 pm

The ONLY way to play bliss is with the ipad. It makes it portable for ease of use. Also works well in the car on the way to those romantic weekends,giving the weekend a head start.
Blisscouple

Postby brady1439 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:37 pm

I'd have to agree. The iPad version is fantastic. The only reason to have the computer version is for the action editor. Once you have the iPad version, you can take any expansion or custom files from the pc version and put on the iPad.
brady1439

Postby giga_watts » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:36 pm

These are good responses!

Here's a question I thought of: is the game play any different on an iPad 1 vs. iPad 2? We have both, but the iPad 1 is more private (but doesn't have a camera on it). Does the game use or require the built-in camera? Or does it automatically select the camera if the device has one? I think I'd rather use an external camera (that's not hooked up to the internet!), but I try to keep an open mind.
giga_watts

Postby Blisscouple » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:44 pm

Use an external camera for more photo options. Also with apple photo stream you dont want to take any chances. We purchased an ihome speaker system to use the second ipad for background music tuned to pandora. I did have some issues with the bliss background music occasionaly not coming back on. Also note that when picking an action file at the beginning of the game it displays the description of the file not the file name. By changing the description to something enticing or risque in the action editor you can have a little fun such as "french maid surprise" and then add an action where a french maid costume is used. Have fun.
Blisscouple

Postby DaveBliss » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 am

Regarding the camera, by default Bliss for the iPad/iPhone offers a button to use the built-in camera if the device has one. However it ships with a setting to throw away all photos/videos it takes. So you can use the camera during the game, but the photos and videos are never saved anywhere. If you change the setting to keep photos/videos then they will be saved to your device's cameral roll and published to your photo stream if you have one. So it may be a good idea to leave that setting alone or to use a separate camera, which as Blisscouple pointed out can be more flexible anyway.

You can take my endorsement with plenty of salt since I'm the person who ported Bliss to the iPad/iPhone, but the reason I did so was because I thought the iPad would be the perfect platform for Bliss, better than the laptop we were using. Part of the trouble may have been that our laptop would start to get too hot if we left it on our bed since the sheets would plug its air vents. Anyway Don was kind enough to let me do the port.

Besides simply porting the game I also wanted to overhaul the graphics using Apple's excellent animation support, so I added dice that roll around the board, messages that slide in, etc. I also wanted to use built-in features of the iPad/iPhone like the built-in camera and the iTunes music library. Generally I'm pleased with how it turned out; it's definitely my preferred way of playing Bliss.
DaveBliss

Return to General Discussion