Bug in Newest iBliss Release - 1.1.8

Use this forum to report any bugs encountered in iBliss.

Moderator: DaveBliss

Bug in Newest iBliss Release - 1.1.8

Postby l&krand » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:53 pm

Hello,

I got an automated e-mail from the forum yesterday about one of my posts. I went to it but didn't see any new activity, but with some exploring, I discovered that my topic of Dec 20, 2012 - Selectng Music - was implemented 2 days ago, with version 1.1.8.

Thanks! We updated iBliss from the apps store last night. And found a bug.

We opened iBliss and went right to the settings for music. I saw the "speaker" icon on the left of each entry. This is the new "preview" button. Correct?

When we tapped the icon, it gained focus, but nothing played. Tapping it again lost focus, or tapping another toggled focus (to be expected), but still nothing played.

Checked volume switches and all volume options in iPad General Settings, and all OK.

Then went to 2 other games that play background music - and did so earlier in the day - and they were quiet.

"Purchased Songs" from iTunes DID PLAY - just not integrated sound from apps.

Anything I can do on my end?
Will general sound come back if I Uninstall iBliss? Will I be able to re-install later without paying again?

Thanks for the help!

LRand
l&krand

Re: Bug in Newest iBliss Release - 1.1.8

Postby marriedtowonderwoman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:01 pm

l&krand

I don't have any answers for fixing your bug problems. As for removing and reinstalling the app, you should be okay to do that if it comes to it. I don't own an iOS device as of yet but I know that for my mac that any apps I have purchased and downloaded, if I choose to remove an app I have the option of re-downloading it from the app store if desired. The app store keeps a record of which apps you have purchased associated with your itunes account.

Hope that helps a little.
marriedtowonderwoman

Postby DaveBliss » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi l&krand,

I'm very sorry I missed seeing your post. I'll see if I can track down the issue with why clicking the preview button didn't work for you. Can you tell me what the song was you were trying to preview, and more importantly if it was purchased from iTunes or was from somewhere else? If it was purchased from iTunes can you tell me how long ago it was?

In the mean time, to try to restore audio I suggest restarting your iPad by holding down the power button until "Slide to power off" appears, then slide the slider to power it off. Once it finishes shutting down turn your iPad on again and once it finishes starting up see if the audio is restored.

If that doesn't help, try double-clicking the home button. When the list of apps appears slide it to the right, revealing audio controls. One of the controls should be a mute button; make sure that the button is not selected.

Please let me know if any of this helps.
DaveBliss

Postby l&krand » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for replying.

Here are my answers:
  • We started at the top of the iBliss music list, meaning to say it happened right away with the built-in songs
  • "Bolero" was purchased from iTunes and added to iBliss, 3 - 6 months ago. Just opened iBliss again to test preview of that song, and that fails, also.
  • iPad gets powered down nightly, anyway. No affect on audio
  • Audio controls via home button double-click: No "mute" button, per se, but volume slider is rightmost, at full blast (sliding to full left changes color & mutes); Fwd & Back buttons scroll thru iTunes library, and music DOES start/stop with play/pause button.
Hope this helps diagnose.

Thanks,
LRand
l&krand

Postby DaveBliss » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:59 pm

It turns out the volume controls when you double-click the home button depends on what the side switch is configured to do, see this link https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5150328 I recommend running through the steps in the link, since it sounds like what you're experiencing. If so then it's possible that it caused the song previews to fail in Bliss. Regardless, could you try those steps and see if it helps?
DaveBliss

Postby l&krand » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:05 pm

That did the trick, Dave!

The 64-thousand-dollar question, of course, is what caused that particular setting to change. Apps had sound before opening the updated iBliss, and then - not. "Settings" app had not been used at all for, probably, weeks. You'd know better than I, but the retired mainframe software developer in me would wonder if the iBliss install changed a setting.

Anyway, I'm all set!

Thanks again for the prompt attention, and a GREAT GAME!

LRand
l&krand

Postby DaveBliss » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Excellent, I'm very glad it worked!

There's nothing I can think of (and I've given it some thought) that would explain how installing Bliss could change that setting. Apple's "install" procedure is, as best as I can tell, roughly equivalent to creating a "sandbox" for the app and then just copying the app to the device. Apps aren't supposed to be able to change global settings, and there's nothing in the Bliss code that could do so, as best as I can tell. All in all it's just strange.

In any case many thanks for helping to track down the issue. I'll keep my ears open for the same thing happening to other folks.
DaveBliss

Postby l&krand » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:35 pm

I kinda figured.

Thx for getting me back on track, at least!

Anything else comes up, you'll be the 2nd to know.
Regards,
LR
l&krand

Postby white123 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:01 am

Thanks for sharing your concept regarding the post.
white123

Return to Bug Reports