Stop recreating desktop shortcut

Use this forum to request new enhancements or make suggestions for future releases.

Moderator: Don

Stop recreating desktop shortcut

Postby dividius » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:54 am

This is a minor annoyance but also some concern if you don't want your love life publized on your desktop...

Every time I run Bliss, the program recreates the desktop and start menu shortcuts. I cannot, for example, effectively move the program group into a sub-folder (e.g. games) of my start menu because every time i run bliss, the original program group is recreated. Ditto I cannot delete the desktop shortcut.

Great Game!
dividius

Postby Don » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:13 pm

Hi,

I have seen this problem, and I am working to correct it. It is not actually Bliss that is reinstalling the shortcuts, it is Windows doing it because it sees that somthing that was part of the original install is gone, so it reruns the MSI to fix it.

I need to figure out how to tell Windows not to do that.

In the meantime, there is a workaround. If you delete both the desktop shortcut and the StartMenu shortcuts, and then create new ones from scratch, the old ones will not be recreated. The missing shortcuts are created whenever you use one of the original shortcuts. Thus if you delete all of the original shortcuts, and then create brand new ones, this problem will go away.

I will have a better fix in the next version.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Workaround er, um... works.

Postby dividius » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:50 am

Don,

Your solution worked perfectly.

A note to others trying to implement it: It is not sufficient to create a copy of the shortcut and then delete the old one. You must manually recreate the shortcut (from scratch, as Don said) and delete the old ones. Pesky Windows.

me.
dividius

Return to Feature Requests