Install to USB Memory Stick

Use this forum to request new enhancements or make suggestions for future releases.

Moderator: Don

Install to USB Memory Stick

Postby havingfun » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi Don,
Any way this could be compiled and available as a Portable application (similar to applications available at http://portableapps.com/)? I think it would be nice for several reasons:

1. I could install it on a USB memory stick and not have traces of the game left on computers for the kids to find! Especially useful so that we can have a getaway weekend and use a borrowed laptop.

2. Using programs like TrueCrypt, the installations to memory sticks or local folders could be encrypted for additional security and privacy.

Thanks!
havingfun

Re: Install to USB Memory Stick

Postby webbles » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:29 pm

I have it installed on a USB memory stick and didn't have any problem with it.
webbles

Postby maxxim » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:27 am

Have ben running Bliss from a USB external hard drive for years now (XP based machine)... can imagine no difference with using a high capacity USB memory stick.

Have our profiles, action files, cusom actions and music all sored on the external drive so we can use bliss at home or away....
maxxim

Postby Don » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi,

As others have stated, all you need to do is copy the directory structure starting at c:/Program Files/Games for Loving to a USB stick. There are no other files located elsewhere on the computer.
Don
Super Moderator

Postby blushingbride » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:22 am

This was a great idea! I was trying to think about how to hide this from the kids, lol! I installed it to my 2 gig usb drive. Works great. Have laptop and usb, will travel.
blushingbride

Postby shankscomp » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:17 am

Hey Don, I know with the new Betas, the action files are moved to the application data folder. What would be your suggestion now for people wanting to move this to a flash drive. I have also cross posted this in the private forum so even the testers can see.
Thanks
Tim
shankscomp

Postby Don » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:53 am

shankscomp wrote:Hey Don, I know with the new Betas, the action files are moved to the application data folder. What would be your suggestion now for people wanting to move this to a flash drive. I have also cross posted this in the private forum so even the testers can see.
Thanks
Tim

With the 1.6 Beta, new actions a re stored in the application Data folder by default. This is because windows doesn't allow the Program Files subtree to be written to under normal circumstances. However, if you put action files and profiles in the usual, old place (under the folder where the game is), Bliss will still use them. So if Bliss is on a Flash Drive, just store your actions there also just like on the old version.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby Sarcas » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:46 am

Perhaps it is an idea to have an optional password required to start Bliss. If you have that option set, the first thing that happens when you launch it is that you are presented with a neutral looking windows asking for you Bliss password. Nothing fancy, but that will avoid any curious kids or others ;)

S.
Sarcas

Postby Don » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Sarcas wrote:Perhaps it is an idea to have an optional password required to start Bliss. If you have that option set, the first thing that happens when you launch it is that you are presented with a neutral looking windows asking for you Bliss password. Nothing fancy, but that will avoid any curious kids or others ;)

Bliss has always had the password feature available. Just go to Options | Manage Passwords.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby havingfun » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi Don,
What about the profiles? I tried to move the profiles from the application directory of the user account on the computer to the flash drive (as you suggested for action files) but then they didn't appear to be available to the application (I went to edit them and it couldn't find them).

Thanks!
havingfun

Postby welshlover » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:44 pm

Ditto, I have the same problem with running off a USB stick, profile has to be on the pc before thay are found. You dont seem to be able to run straight off a USB stick.
welshlover

Postby tanda06 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Is installing to a USB drive no longer an option? Was just in the process of attempting it. Wanted to keep the thumb drive in our stash so it couldn't be stumbled upon. Would also be nice to just plug it into any computer/laptop and be ready to go.
tanda06

Return to Feature Requests