language support

Use this forum to request new enhancements or make suggestions for future releases.

Moderator: Don

language support

Postby magic » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:46 am

Hi folks,

does somebody know, if the game supports more languages than only english?

I have to mention, that I ordered the game 10 minutes ago. By that, I will not get the licence key the next days, because I have to wire the money first. Maybe I could see it without a licence key, but I am sitting at work and so I can't install it.

Anyway... I am german and so I would be interessted in a german language pack. If this is not a standard feature, I could make the translation, so that it can be offered in the next version. I don't know if you know it, but your game has been mentioned in one of germans most popular magazins (Focus) and maybe there will be some people, who would like to download it in german.

So... althougth I did not yet see the game, I really think that its fun and if I could help with the translation, I will do. I hope my english is good enough to do that... but I cosider my english as good. But now that you have red my text, you should have your own opinion about that.

Keep smiling
Magic
magic

Postby Don » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:11 am

Hi,

Language support is something that we would very much like to provide. We have had quite a few requests for German, for Spanish, and for Japanese. However, at the current time we do not have the resources for it.

Bliss is written to support multiple languages. In fact it can even support non Latin languages such as Hindu, Kanji, etc. However, Translating Bliss to a different language is a much larger process than translating most software. There are three things that must be translated.

First, the dialogs within the game need to be translated. This is not huge job, but requires someone with technical translation experience.
Second, the substitutions for each language need to be worked out. In each action, there are substitution codes. For example in english,

<se> comes out as he or she, whichever is appropriate.
<ss> comes out as his or her, whichever is appropriate.

These substitiutions would be different, depending on the structure of the language. Again, this is not a huge amount of work, but would require understanding of the language and the game.

The third part is the hard part. There are over 500 actions in the database that all have 1-3 paragraphs of text that would need to be translated. This would be a big job simply because of the volume of text to be translated and the fact that the substitutions need to be made as appropriate for the language.

So translating Bliss to another language is, unfortunately, a pretty big job. It is somthing I would love to do, and if people want to help, I will glady accept all the help I can get, but it will not be an easy process.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby magic » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:20 am

Hi Don,

thanks for your prompt reply. I have some experience in translating programms. I studied Business Administration in Germany and worked in Danvers, MA for a year. So the language skills should not be a problem.

Now I am working for a german light bulb manufactorer. I am working in the IT department and we have some jobs outsourced to Japain. That means, that we (which basically means: I) have to translate all manuals, all technical documentations and the programms from German to English and the other way around. So I think I am qualified enough to do that.

If you want me to help, I would really be glad, because that means, that I will be able to enjoy the game in german and you have a new feature and a larger market for your game. So if you want me to translate the stuff, just sent it to me. I will start tomorrow and i am usually pretty exact and really fast in translating.

Keep smiling
Magic
magic

Postby Don » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:25 am

As I said, I will be very glad to have the help, I just wanted you to know how big of a project you were getting into. :D

I will contact you by private message to work out the details.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby magic » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:29 am

Okay, i am looking forward to it.

But if hell ever freezes, I will be the first arriving with a snowboard *g* (german saying)
That means: I always want something challenging. I will do enough simply and boring stuff, when i am old ;-)
magic

Postby DrPepper » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:09 am

Hi Don,

if you need any additional help to provide German-Language support....iam a native German speaker!
I think, many people from Germany would love a german version of your great program.

Greets,
DrPepper
DrPepper

Postby magic » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:53 pm

Hi Dr. Pepper,

I already started to translate the actions and it really works good.
But if you wanna provide your help and Don doesnt have a problem with it, I would really be glad.
Together we could do it really fast.

Viele Grüße
Magic
magic

Postby DrPepper » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:44 pm

Sure, that would be great Magic, i'm looking forward to Don's answer ;-). What do you think about it Don?

Greets,
Dr.Pepper
DrPepper

Postby Don » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:27 pm

I have no objection to you splitting up the workload, it is a pretty big job, and having more than one person working on it will make it much easier. Why don't you work out between you how you want to split up the actions. Each action has a title, which is not seen during regular game play but is used to identify the action. Perhaps each of you could take a range of the alphabet of the title. It would probably be best to leave the title in english anyway, that way if there is a problem with an action, it will be easy to identify which action was causing the trouble.

I will be glad to provide any support and help that I can.

Thanks,

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Language Translations

Postby Dr. D. Light » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:10 pm

Magic & Dr. Pepper;
I just spoke with Don the other evening about possible translations to Portuguese and Japanese. I do speak a little French and Spanish -- but not well enough I believe to translate the Add-on Packs.

If you translate Bliss into German, would you also want to take on the add-on packs?

You may contact me at BlissNDLight@yahoo.com

Dr. D.
May your relationship be full of Bliss and Delight!
Dr. D. Light

Postby DrPepper » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi Dr D. Light,

a PM is on its way ;-)

Greets,
Dr.Pepper
DrPepper

Postby ingodubingo » Sun May 28, 2006 8:45 pm

Hello.

As this thread is over 2 months old, i wanted to ask how much of the translation work is done.. I'd like to buy a game, but right now there's no german edition (and i think it will be better to play in native language).

Greetz,
ingodubingo
ingodubingo

Postby Don » Sun May 28, 2006 9:06 pm

Regrettably, I have heard nothing from either of the gentlemen working on the translation since late March. At that time, it seemed that good progress was being made, but I have not heard anything since, nor have any of my emails been answered.

Sorry, but I don't have any real information to give you.

Don
Don
Super Moderator

Postby ingodubingo » Mon May 29, 2006 8:47 am

Too bad :(

I'd really like to play the game in german. If you have any further informations about the translation progress, please post it here or make an announcement.

If their translation work is on a good way, i could offer to complete the translation of the dialogues and actions.. Maybe some other germans here could also help.

I'm not a professional translater, but i think the actions and dialogues are not that difficult to translate.
ingodubingo

Translation Options/Offers

Postby Dr. D. Light » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:34 am

I too, had hoped to hear about how the translations were coming along. I have found a resource that "should" make the translations fairly "simple". However, I think that both Don and I would need a native speaker to 'grammar check' the translations, to be certain that the translation has been correctly made.

Dr. D. Light
May your relationship be full of Bliss and Delight!
Dr. D. Light

Next

Return to Feature Requests